Help converting existing VMWare Server 2 guest to KVM

I'm trying to convert an existing VMWare Server 2 guest (Vista 64) to
KVM (on CentOS 5.5) in order to evaluate migrating to KVM.

The KVM howto describes a very cryptic process that appears to assume
familiarity with too many things. I have no idea where to even start
with it.

Googling around, I've found this blog with clearer instructions
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/convert-vmware-vmdk-to-kvm-qcow2-or-virtualbox-vdi/

However, it appears to be specifically for Ubuntu as the command kvm
doesn't exist.
I've tried adding a new guest using virtmanager specifying the
converted qcow2 file as the image but on running, the guest console
says it's not a bootable drive.

In fact, when I tried just adding a new machine for a fresh install
with a Windows ISO, I get the same problem, the guest is not bootable
from the virtual CD or HDA.

Please advise if there is any more relevant and detailed guide on
doing this? Thanks.