Re: Help converting existing VMWare Server 2 guest to KVM

> n 7/11/10, ewheeler <kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 22:16 +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> >> I'm trying to convert an existing VMWare Server 2 guest (Vista 64) to
> >> KVM (on CentOS 5.5) in order to evaluate migrating to KVM.
> >
> >> Please advise if there is any more relevant and detailed guide on
> >> doing this? Thanks.
> >
> > After converting the .VDI to a .qcow2, you might try something as simple
> > as this from a console:
>
> I don't know if this is part of the problem but I don't have a .VDI
> I was converting from a .vmdk file

Ahh, yes you're right.  I was thinking VirualBox, not VMWare.  VMWare is
vmdk and qemu-img can do the conversion for you.

> >   qemu-system-x86_64 -hda yourdiskimage.qcow2
> >
> > Thats about as simple as it can get.  What do you get at the console
> > when you run this?
>
> I don't have that utility on my system. I tried to install the qemu
> rpm but yum fails because it conflicts with the KVM package
> (kvm-qemu-img-83-164.el5_5.9.x86_64) already installed.

I'm having trouble on CentOS 5.5 too --- Have you tried the testing repo
using these instructions?

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM#head-ddf21f42074a58b940ff360d78b7f79130c193e4

You might also try the EPEL and freshrpms repo for the latest qemu/kvm
support.

BTW, I am having great success using Ubuntu 10.04 as a host OS and
running the VMs under it---and I've been a die-hard CentOS/RHEL guy for
years.   I  tried CentOS 5.[45] a while ago for KVM and was not pleased
with the functionality, primarily because CentOS still uses the 2.6.18
relic with (too)many backports.

Let us know how it goes!

-Eric