Re: [RFC 00/29] Introduce NVIDIA GPU Virtualization (vGPU) Support

On Wed, 25 Sept 2024 at 10:53, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2024 at 09:56:58PM +0200, Danilo Krummrich wrote:
>
> > Currently - and please correct me if I'm wrong - you make it sound to me as if
> > you're not willing to respect the decisions that have been taken by Nouveau and
> > DRM maintainers.
>
> I've never said anything about your work, go do Nova, have fun.
>
> I'm just not agreeing to being forced into taking Rust dependencies in
> VFIO because Nova is participating in the Rust Experiment.
>
> I think the reasonable answer is to accept some code duplication, or
> try to consolidate around a small C core. I understad this is
> different than you may have planned so far for Nova, but all projects
> are subject to community feedback, especially when faced with new
> requirements.
>
> I think this discussion is getting a little overheated, there is lots
> of space here for everyone to do their things. Let's not get too
> excited.

How do you intend to solve the stable ABI problem caused by the GSP firmware?

If you haven't got an answer to that, that is reasonable, you can talk
about VFIO and DRM and who is in charge all you like, but it doesn't
matter.

Fundamentally the problem is the unstable API exposure isn't something
you can build a castle on top of, the nova idea is to use rust to
solve a fundamental problem with the NVIDIA driver design process
forces on us (vfio included), I'm not seeing anything constructive as
to why doing that in C would be worth the investment. Nothing has
changed from when we designed nova, this idea was on the table then,
it has all sorts of problems leaking the unstable ABI that have to be
solved, and when I see a solution for that in C that is maintainable
and doesn't leak like a sieve I might be interested, but you know keep
thinking we are using rust so we can have fun, not because we are
using it to solve maintainability problems caused by an internal
NVIDIA design decision over which we have zero influence.

Dave.