Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] COCONUT Secure VM Service Module for SEV-SNP

Hi James,

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 07:09:40AM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> Since this a fork of the AMD svsm code
> (https://github.com/AMDESE/linux-svsm/), is it intended to be a
> permanent fork, or are you going to be submitting your additions back
> upstream like we're trying to do for our initial vTPM prototype?  From
> the community point of view, having two different SVSM code bases and
> having to choose which one to develop against is going to be very
> confusing ...

The COCONUT-SVSM was and is a separate project and not a fork of AMDs
linux-svsm. Some code was ported from our code-base to linux-svsm in the
past, namely the SpinLock implementation and the memory allocators.

What the project also shares with linux-svsm is the support code in the
Linux kernel (host and guest) and the EDK2 changes needed to launch an
SVSM.

But besides that the two code-bases are different, using a different
build approach and different launch protocol. The goals we have with our
SVSM are hard to achieve with the linux-svsm code-base, so a merge does
not make sense at this point.

Regards,

--
Jörg Rödel
jroedel@xxxxxxx

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Frankenstraße 146
90461 Nürnberg
Germany

(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Boudien Moerman