Re: VMs crashing - Ubuntu 8.04, KVM84, libvirt 0.6.1

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
<lmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:26 +0000, Yann Hamon wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with the kvm84 and libvirt 0.6.1 backports. I am experiencing regular crashes of my Vms - well, more like  "freezes" than actual crashes. This is how it looks like: http://waste.mandragor.org/kvmcpu/munin.html
>>
>> * The VM keeps running
>> * The number of LOC IRQs goes down to 0, as well as the number of context switches
>> * The number of processes gradually grows
>> * The weird thing: some processes that were running before the crash keep running, but won't be able to fork (as you can see the munin-node continues to work)
>>
>> This is bothering me a lot and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it or work around it.
>> Has this been experienced by anyone else, and/or fixed in a later version of KVM?
>
> I saw your blog post yesterday speaking about it. Unfortunately I don't
> have much experience with kvm under Ubuntu, so you might want to talk to
> Dustin, Ubuntu's maintainer of KVM. I saw some replies to your blog post
> suggesting you to use Dustin's PPA, have you tried to do that?
>
> I am copying Dustin on the message. As I said, I am not very
> knowledgeable with Ubuntu, but perhaps you should try a newer KVM build?
> kvm-84 is kinda... old :) A backport of a more current codebase to 8.04
> could be a good idea.

Thanks for the pointer, Lucas.

I have worked with Yann to get a better KVM onto Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, more
or less at his request.  At the time, I backported the then-current
kvm-84 from Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), as a stop-gap
measure, replacing the purely ancient kvm-62.  Last I heard from Yann,
kvm-84 (and friends) was working much better than kvm-62.

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) has qemu-kvm-0.11, which seems more stable than
kvm-84, in my experience.  And the under-development Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
(Lucid) currently has qemu-kvm-0.12.2.

Once Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid) ships in April (or, if I get some down
time between now and then), I will attempt to backport qemu-kvm-0.12.2
to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy).

There's more than a few complications with doing this backport, and it
takes considerable effort to do so, as there are several pieces that
must be handled, and thoroughly tested, including at least:
 a) the modern kvm kernel module, and getting it building under DKMS
 b) the modern qemu-kvm userspace, getting it building against the
older toolchain
 c) the modern libvirt library, getting it building against the older toolchain
 d) testing the interoperability of all of the above

My efforts are currently 110% committed against developing Ubuntu
10.04 LTS (Lucid), and the virtualization stack there.  Yann, and
anyone wanting a backported virtualization stack against Ubuntu 8.04
LTS should follow the procedures at:
 * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
and ideally someone from the Ubuntu community with backport experience
can help get a new version building and tested.  If there's someone
volunteering to help with that work, I'll gladly mentor them and guide
the process, sign, and upload packages to the Ubuntu repositories on
their behalf.

Cheers,
:-Dustin