Re: VMs crashing - Ubuntu 8.04, KVM84, libvirt 0.6.1

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:26 +0000, Yann Hamon wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with the kvm84 and libvirt 0.6.1 backports. I am experiencing regular crashes of my Vms - well, more like  "freezes" than actual crashes. This is how it looks like: http://waste.mandragor.org/kvmcpu/munin.html
>
> * The VM keeps running
> * The number of LOC IRQs goes down to 0, as well as the number of context switches
> * The number of processes gradually grows
> * The weird thing: some processes that were running before the crash keep running, but won't be able to fork (as you can see the munin-node continues to work)
>
> This is bothering me a lot and I have absolutely no idea how to fix it or work around it.
> Has this been experienced by anyone else, and/or fixed in a later version of KVM?

I saw your blog post yesterday speaking about it. Unfortunately I don't
have much experience with kvm under Ubuntu, so you might want to talk to
Dustin, Ubuntu's maintainer of KVM. I saw some replies to your blog post
suggesting you to use Dustin's PPA, have you tried to do that?

I am copying Dustin on the message. As I said, I am not very
knowledgeable with Ubuntu, but perhaps you should try a newer KVM build?
kvm-84 is kinda... old :) A backport of a more current codebase to 8.04
could be a good idea.