Re: VMs crashing - Ubuntu 8.04, KVM84, libvirt 0.6.1

----- "Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues" <lmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 11:26 +0000, Yann Hamon wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with the kvm84 and libvirt 0.6.1 backports. I
> am experiencing regular crashes of my Vms - well, more like  "freezes"
> than actual crashes. This is how it looks like:
> http://waste.mandragor.org/kvmcpu/munin.html
> >
> > * The VM keeps running
> > * The number of LOC IRQs goes down to 0, as well as the number of
> context switches
> > * The number of processes gradually grows
> > * The weird thing: some processes that were running before the crash
> keep running, but won't be able to fork (as you can see the munin-node
> continues to work)
> >
> > This is bothering me a lot and I have absolutely no idea how to fix
> it or work around it.
> > Has this been experienced by anyone else, and/or fixed in a later
> version of KVM?
>
> I saw your blog post yesterday speaking about it. Unfortunately I don't
> have much experience with kvm under Ubuntu, so you might want to talk to
> Dustin, Ubuntu's maintainer of KVM. I saw some replies to your blog post
> suggesting you to use Dustin's PPA, have you tried to do that?

Yes, it's the one I am using - the package has actually been pushed to backports. I did talk to him, but I think they have problems reproducing the bug (it happens fairly rarely, but about once or twice a week for me as I got 50-60 vms).

> I am copying Dustin on the message. As I said, I am not very
> knowledgeable with Ubuntu, but perhaps you should try a newer KVM
> build?

I think he is aware of the bug, but quite busy with building the virtualisation infrastructure for 10.4 I'm afraid :) We used to be supported customers (pledged for that backport actually :( ) but aren't anymore, due to some disagreement between my boss and one of their commercials, which is why I thought I would give it a try here. Maybe someone else experienced that bug...

> kvm-84 is kinda... old :) A backport of a more current codebase to 8.04
> could be a good idea.

Sure, looking forward to 10.4... Might even uprade to 9.10 if I cant wait til then...

------