RE: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS guest running slowly [Solved?]

Avi:

This is very strange.

I have been experimenting with the TKL LAMP appliance
to figure out why it sometimes installs with the accelerate
option and why it fails at other times.

My experimentation lead to a very strange circumstance where
I can get things to work:

1. Start with either a pre-existing disk from a previous
	installation or no disk file.
2. Issue this command to install the guest (All on one line):
   virt-install -n v1067 -r 512 --vcpus=1 --os-type=linux
   --os-variant=ubuntuhardy -v -c /tmp/turnkey-lamp-2009.10-hardy-x86.iso
   -f /var/lib/libvirt/images/v1067.img -s 15 -b br0 --vnc --noautoconsole
   --accelerate
3. Connect to the VNC console
4. When the Turnkey Linux splash screen comes up, there is a 30 sec
   countdown timer on it.  Wait until that timer counts down to
   5 sec left and the select Install to hard disk.
5. Continue the install as normal.
6. When the appliance finishes installed, it will ask to reboot,
   allow it to do so.  It will shut down.
7. Edit the guest's XML file and remove <model type='virtio'/> from
   the network interface.  The appliance crashes during boot if I
   leave the virtio model in the file.
8. Boot the appliance.

Everything works now and it is running fast.  I ran the install
5 times just to be sure this procedure works.  It ran without
problems every time.

There must be some kind of race condition that is solved when I
wait in step 4.

Step 7 seems to be the known issue with virtio referred to on
the guest support status page.

I am preplexed that it works, but I am not complaining!

	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
CentOS 5.4 VPS with unmetered bandwidth only $25/month!