Re: SIGTERM to qemu-kvm process destroys qcow2 image?

2009/12/17 Kevin Wolf <kwolf@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Am 17.12.2009 11:23, schrieb Avi Kivity:

>>> 4K dump attached.
>>>

>> Seems fine.  Kevin can you take a look?
>
> Agreed, the dump looks fine. Even qcow2_open succeeds if I just use this
> header as a qcow2 file.
>
>> You have a backing file.  Do qemu-img info and qemu-img check like it?
>
> So I'd definitely have a look at the backing file. It's almost the only
> thing that can go wrong after qcow2_open. qemu-img doesn't have known
> problems with backing files in general, but it does have problems with
> missing (or broken) backing files.
>
> Kenni, could you check if your backing file is still alive? /tmp doesn't
> sound like a safe place for images. If it still exists in the right
> location (/tmp/WindowsXP.img.backup) and it is qcow2, can you please
> attach the first 4k of the backing file?
>
> Kevin

Huh? Backing file? Is that the same as a base image? Eg. a write
protected image on which other images can be based?

If so, I'm quite confused...this should be a standalone image created
with a command like "qemu-img create -f WindowsXP.img 50G" half a year
ago on kvm 8x. I don't use libvirt/virt-manager etc. I start qemu-kvm
directly from a homemade bash script. I don't have any
/tmp/WindowsXP.img.backup file, and I would never put stuff inside
/tmp, especially not images, they belong to /data/virtualization/ on
my server and nowhere else....

If the image needs another image in /tmp/WindowsXP.img.backup I can
see why it doesn't work, but I have _no_ idea why or how this file was
created (?!??) - even if I was doing a test with base-images, I would
do it directly in /data/virtualization/ and never in /tmp/

Best Regards
Kenni Lund