SIGTERM to qemu-kvm process destroys qcow2 image?

Hi

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is it expected behaviour that
a qcow2 image will/can get damaged by killing the qemu-kvm process
with a SIGTERM signal?

I would expect data on filesystems within the virtual machine to
potentially get damaged if it's in use, but I though that the qemu-kvm
process would take care of finishing its writes correctly to the qcow2
image before shutting down, ensuring the integrity of the qcow2 image.

Yesterday I entered an invalid boot device as an argument to my
qemu-kvm command for my Windows XP machine, causing an error about a
missing boot device in the qemu BIOS/POST. As I didn't have any
filesystems mounted inside the virtual machine (since it was stuck at
the BIOS asking for a device to boot), I did a kill $pid, fixed the
boot device in the qemu-kvm command and tried booting again...but with
no luck, whatever I try now with qemu-kvm gives me the error:
qemu: could not open disk image /data/virtualization/WindowsXP.img

And qemu-img (check, convert, etc) gives me:
qemu-img: Could not open 'WindowsXP.img'

Is this expected behaviour? Luckily I do have backups of the most
important data on this machine, I'm just happy this didn't happen to
any of my critical machines :-/

I'm on qemu-kvm 0.11.0 with kernel modules from 2.6.31.6.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund