Re: debugging windows guests

On 12/15/2009 3:39 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Raindog wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  I am researching KVM as a malware analysis platform and had some
>  questions about debugging the guest OS. In my case I intend to use
>  windows guests. So my questsions are as follows:
>
>  Questions:
>
>  1. What instrumentation facilities are their available?
>
>  2. Is it possible to extend the debugging interface so that debugging is
>  more transparent to the guest OS? IE: there is still a limit of 4 HW
>  breakpoints (which makes me wonder why a LIST is used for them...)

In accelerated KVM mode, the x86 architecture restricts us to 4 break-
or watchpoints that can be active at the same time. If you switch to
emulation mode, there are no such limits. Actually, I just made use of
this for debugging a subtle stack corruption in a guest, and I had more
than 70 watchpoints active at the same time. It's just "slightly" slower
than KVM...

Are there any advantages over stock qemu if using kvm w/out the kernel module?