Re: Can't make virtio block driver work on Windows 2003

Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:
On 10/15/2009 01:42 PM, Asdo wrote:
Vadim Rozenfeld wrote:
On 10/14/2009 07:52 PM, Asdo wrote:
So I tried adding another drive, a virtio one, (a new 100MB file at host side) to the virtual machine and rebooting.

A first problem is that Windows does not detect the new device upon boot or Add Hardware scan.
Check PCI devices with "info pci". You must have "SCSI controller: PCI device 1af4:1001" device reported.

It's not there. Does this make it a KVM bug?
Looks like virtio-blk device wasn't initialized. Otherwise I cannot explain why 0x1100 device is here.
Try to start block device without "index=1"
Anyway, if you can, please send "info pci" output from QEMU monitor console.

Owh! Ok THAT was "info pci"
Ok I am copying by hand before removing index=1

(qemu) info pci
Bus 0, device 0, function, 0:
   Host bridge: PCI device 8086:1237
Bus 0 device 1, function 0:
   ISA ridge: PCI device 8086:7000
Bos 0 device 1 function 1:
   IDE controller: PCI device 8086:7010
      BAR4: I/O at 0xc000 [0xc00f].
Bus 0 device 1 function 3:
   Bridge: PCI device 8086:7133
   IRQ 9
Bus 0 device 2 function 0:
VGA controller: PCI device 1013:00b8
      BAR0: 32 but memory at 0xf0000000 [0xf1ffffff]
      BAR1: 32 but memory at 0xf2000000 [0xf2000fff]
Bus 0 device 3 function 0:
   Ethernet controller PCI device 1af4:1000
      IRQ 11
      BAR0: I/O at 0xc020 [0xc03f]
Bus 0 device 4 function 0
   RAM controller: PCI device 1af4:1002
   IRQ 11
   BAR0 : I/O at 0xc040
(qemu)

so it's not there

Now I remove index=1:

WOW it's there now!
Bus 0 device 4 function 0:
   Storage controller: PCI device 1af4:1001
       IRQ 11
       BAR0: I/O at 0xc040 [0xc07f]

(just before the 1002 device)

So now windows sees it and I was able to install the viostor drivers (btw Windows was not happy with the previously installed viostor drivers, I had to reinstall those and I got two devices, and the previous one still had the yellow exclamation mark, so I had to uninstall that one. After the procedure I was able to boot on virtio too! Yeah!).

Great so yes, I'd say you *DO* have a KVM bug: one has to remove index=1 for the second disk to appear. How did you know that, Vadim, is it a known issue with kvm? It's better to fix that because libvirt puts "index=n" for all drives so it's impossible to workaround the problem if one uses libvirt. I had to launch manually...

Thanks a lot Vadim.

Asdo