Re: Can't make virtio block driver work on Windows 2003

On 10/14/2009 07:52 PM, Asdo wrote:
Hi all
I have a new installation of Windows 2003 SBS server 32bit which I installed using IDE disk. KVM version is QEMU PC emulator version 0.10.50 (qemu-kvm-devel-86) compiled by myself on kernel 2.6.28-11-server.

I have already moved networking from e1000 to virtio (e1000 was performing very sluggishly btw, probably was losing many packets, virtio seems to work)

Now I want to move the disk to virtio...

This is complex so I thought that first I wanted to see virtio installed and working on another drive. So I tried adding another drive, a virtio one, (a new 100MB file at host side) to the virtual machine and rebooting.

A first problem is that Windows does not detect the new device upon boot or Add Hardware scan.
Check PCI devices with "info pci". You must have "SCSI controller: PCI device 1af4:1001" device reported.

Here is the kvm commandline (it's complex because it comes from libvirt):

/usr/local/kvm/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -S -M pc -m 4096-smp 4 -name winserv2 -uuid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -monitor pty -boot c -drive file=/virtual_machines/kvm/nfsimport/winserv2.raw,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -drive file=/virtual_machines/kvm/nfsimport/zerofile,if=virtio,index=1 -net nic,macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,vlan=0,model=virtio -net tap,fd=25,vlan=0 -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc 127.0.0.1:4

Even if Windows couldn't detect the new device I tried to install the driver anyway. On Add Hardware I go through to --> SCSI and RAID controllers --> Have Disk .. and point it to the location of viostor files (windows 2003 x86) downloaded from:

 http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
 http://people.redhat.com/~yvugenfi/24.09.2009/viostor.zip

Windows does install the driver, however at the end it says:

The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly.
 This device cannot start. (Code 10)

and the new device gets flagged with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager.

I don't know if it's the same reason as before, that the device is not detected so the driver cannot work, or another reason.
Yes, it must be the same problem. Code 10 means that device driver was not able to find or initialize hardware.
Regards,
Vadim

Any idea?

Thanks for your help