Re: Heads up: More user-unaccessible x86 states?

On 10/05/2009 01:18 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:
On 10/05/2009 09:43 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Avi Kivity wrote:

On 10/04/2009 09:07 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

btw, instead of adding a new ioctl, perhaps it makes sense to define a
new KVM_VCPU_STATE structure that holds all current and future state
(with generous reserved space), instead of separating state over a
dozen
ioctls.

OK, makes sense. With our without lapic state?

I'm in two minds.  I'm leaning towards including lapic but would welcome
arguments either way.

The lapic is optional and, thus, typically handled in different code
modules by user space. QEMU even creates a separate device that holds
the state.
avx registers, nested vmx are optional as well.

I'm not sure user space will benefit from a unified query/set
interface with regard to this.

The main benefit is to avoid creating an ioctl each time we find a
missing bit.

Note we have to be careful with timers such as the tsc and lapic timer.
Maybe have a bitmask at the front specifying which elements are active.

...and the lapic timers are another argument.

Regarding TSC, which means MSRs: I tend to include only states into the
this meta state which have fixed sizes. Otherwise things will get very
hairy. And the GET/SET_MSRS interface is already fairly flexible, the
question would be again: What can we gain by unifying?

For MSRs, not much.

Note we can make it work, by storing an offset/length at a fixed
location and letting userspace point it into the reserved area.
Hmm, pointers... That makes me think of a meta IOCTL like this:

struct kvm_vcpu_state {
	int substates;
	void __user *substate[0];
};

True pointers are no go since we have to deal with compat code (31/32 bit userspace calling into a 64 bit kernel). Offsets into the state structure are easier.

#define KVM_VCPU_STATE_REGS  0 /* i.e. substate[0] points to kvm_regs */
#define KVM_VCPU_STATE_SREGS 1
#define KVM_VCPU_STATE_LAPIC 2

We could easily extend the call with more substates just by defining new
pointer slots. Moreover, user space could define which substates should
be get/set by simply passing NULL or a valid pointer for substate[n] (or
by limiting the substates field).

The only ugliness I see is the missing type safety as we would have to
deal with void pointers to the substate structures here.

For fixed sized state a feature bitmap is sufficient I think.