Re: Heads up: More user-unaccessible x86 states?

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 10/04/2009 10:59 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while preparing new IOCTLs to let user space query&  set the yet
>> unaccessible NMI states (pending and masked) I also came across the
>> interrupt shadow masks. Unless I missed something I would say that we so
>> far break them in the rare case that a migration happens right while any
>> of them is asserted. So I guess I should extend my interface and stuff
>> them in as well.
>>
>> Do we have more of such unaccessible states on x86 that could be
>> included, too? Would be a good chance...
>>

> There's some hidden state in the cpuid mechanism.  I think we expose it
> though (just don't use it in qemu).

Do you have more details on this?

> The PDPTRs are hidden state that we should save/restore, though no sane
> guest relies on them.

A quick glance at SVM makes me think that those registered are not
exposed there. So when keeping in mind that we may only help VMX guests,
I think i makes even less sense to "fix" this, does it?

> I think we can lose information if we migrate during a SIPI
> (sipi_vector), though that might be fixable without exposing it.

Hmm, I see. But even it it's not fixable, such an extension would be an
in-kernel irqchip thing.

> We'll might also lost debug traps.
>
> We drop pending exceptions; normally that's fine since they'll reinject
> themselves, but MCE will not.

So would it make sense and fix those two issues when we simply save and
restore the pending exception?

Jan