Re: Heads up: More user-unaccessible x86 states?

On 10/04/2009 09:07 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
btw, instead of adding a new ioctl, perhaps it makes sense to define a
new KVM_VCPU_STATE structure that holds all current and future state
(with generous reserved space), instead of separating state over a dozen
ioctls.

OK, makes sense. With our without lapic state?

I'm in two minds. I'm leaning towards including lapic but would welcome arguments either way.

Note we have to be careful with timers such as the tsc and lapic timer. Maybe have a bitmask at the front specifying which elements are active.

How much "future space"?

avx will change the sse registers from 16x16 to 16x32, with a hint of more to come. Nested vmx needs the vmptr and some more bits. MSRs are potentially endless. Lots of space.