Re: vhost net: performance with ping benchmark

Avi Kivity wrote:
My preference is ring proxying. Not we'll need ring proxying (or at least event proxying) for non-MSI guests.

Thinking about this more...

How does the hand off work? Assuming you normally don't proxy ring entries and switch to proxying them when you want to migration, do you have a set of ioctl()s that changes the semantics of the ring to be host virtual addresses instead of guest physical? If so, what do you do with in flight requests? Does qemu have to buffer new requests and wait for old ones to complete?

Unless you always do ring proxying. If that's the case, we don't need any of the slot management code in vhost.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori