Re: vhost net: performance with ping benchmark

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:12:41AM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
At Rusty's suggestion, I tested vhost base performance with ping.
Results below, and seem to be what you'd expect.

Rusty, any chance you could look at the code?  Is it in reasonable
shape? I think it makes sense to merge it through you. What do you
think?  One comment on file placement: I put files under a separate
vhost directory to avoid confusion with virtio-net which runs in guest.
Does this sound sane?  Also, can a minimal version (without TSO, tap or
any other features) be merged upstream first so that features can be
added later? Or do we have to wait until it's more full featured?
Finally, can it reasonably make 2.6.32, or you think it needs more time
out of tree?

I think 2.6.32 is pushing it. I think some time is needed to flush out the userspace interface. In particular, I don't think Mark's comments have been adequately addressed. If a version were merged without GSO support, some mechanism to do feature detection would be needed in the userspace API. I think this is likely going to be needed regardless. I also think the tap compatibility suggestion would simplify the consumption of this in userspace.

I'd like some time to look at get_state/set_state ioctl()s along with dirty tracking support. It's a much better model for live migration IMHO.

I think so more thorough benchmarking would be good too. In particular, netperf/iperf runs would be nice.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks very much,