Re: Question about KVM IO performance with FreeBSD as a guest OS

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 03:46:29PM +0200, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> I have huge problems running FreeBSD 12 (amd64) as a KVM guest.
>
> KVM is running on Ubuntu 18 LTS, in an OpenStack setup with dedicated Ceph-Storage (NVMe SSDs).
>
> The VM „flavor" as such is that IOPs are limited to 2000/s - and I do get those 2k IOPs when I run e.g. CentOS 7.
>
> But on FreeBSD, I get way less.
>
> E.g. running dc3dd to write zeros to a disk, I get 120 MB/s on CentOS 7.
> With FreeBSD, I get 9 MB/s.
>

> The VMs were created on an OpenSuSE 42.3 host with the commands described here:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/freebsd-image.html
>

> This mimics the results we got on XenServer, where also some people reported the same problems but other people had no problems at all.
>
> Feedback from the FreeBSD community suggests that the problem is not unheard of, but also not universally reproducible.
> So, I assume it must be some hypervisor misconfiguration?
>
> I’m NOT the administrator of the KVM hosts. I can ask them tomorrow, though.
>
> I’d like to get some ideas on what to look for on the hosts directly, if that makes sense.

Hi Rainer,
Maybe it's the benchmark.  Can you share the exact command-line you are
running on CentOS 7 and FreeBSD?

The blocksize and amount of parallelism (queue depth or number of
processes/threads) should be identical on CentOS and FreeBSD.  The
benchmark should open the file with O_DIRECT.  It should not fsync()
(flush) after every write request.

If you are using large blocksizes (>256 KB) then perhaps the guest I/O
stack is splitting them up differently on FreeBSD and Linux.

Here is a sequential write benchmark using dd:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vdX oflag=direct bs=4k count=1048576

Stefan