Question about KVM IO performance with FreeBSD as a guest OS

Hi,

I have huge problems running FreeBSD 12 (amd64) as a KVM guest.

KVM is running on Ubuntu 18 LTS, in an OpenStack setup with dedicated Ceph-Storage (NVMe SSDs).

The VM „flavor" as such is that IOPs are limited to 2000/s - and I do get those 2k IOPs when I run e.g. CentOS 7.

But on FreeBSD, I get way less.

E.g. running dc3dd to write zeros to a disk, I get 120 MB/s on CentOS 7.
With FreeBSD, I get 9 MB/s.

The VMs were created on an OpenSuSE 42.3 host with the commands described here:

https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/freebsd-image.html

This mimics the results we got on XenServer, where also some people reported the same problems but other people had no problems at all.

Feedback from the FreeBSD community suggests that the problem is not unheard of, but also not universally reproducible.
So, I assume it must be some hypervisor misconfiguration?

I’m NOT the administrator of the KVM hosts. I can ask them tomorrow, though.

I’d like to get some ideas on what to look for on the hosts directly, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance,
Rainer