Re: Newbie, struggling with graphics and qemu monitor

(Thanks Avi, and all.  Sorry if my questions are basic.  More of them below.)

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Avi Kivity<avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/30/2009 09:33 PM, Michael Jinks wrote:
>>
>> I've looked but haven't found any way to attach a monitor process to
>> an already-running guest.  Is this possible?  Or do we only get a
>> monitor as a child process of the initial kvm invocation?
>
> Look up the -monitor option.

Aha: I'd been looking in the "kvm" man page, which on my system looks
a lot like, but isn't exactly like, the qemu man page.  The qemu one
has the -monitor option.  (Is that a bug?  Should I pester the package
maintainers for my distro?)

But now that I've read it I don't understand it.  Quoting:

       -monitor dev
           Redirect the monitor to host device dev (same devices as the serial
           port).  The default device is "vc" in graphical mode and "stdio" in
           non graphical mode.

On my KVM host machine, there's no /dev/vc, even though I do have one
guest running.  I have /dev/vcs, /dev/vcs(1-12) and /dev/vcsa(1-7),
all major number 7 and owned by the "tty" group so they look
promising, but fuser doesn't show any of them being in use.

At any rate assuming that I started up a guest with, say, "-monitor
/dev/vcs1", how would I attach to that device afterward?  Does the kvm
command provide a way to do it or would I use a serial port handler,
like minicom?  Is there a default baud rate?

Again sorry if these are dumb questions, maybe I'm just not searching
on the right strings.

> If you run qemu in screen, use -vnc.  X and screen don't mix.

Okay, good to know.  But I'm still having the problem where vnc
clients crash unless the guest is in text-only mode, and I assume
that's going to be a problem when I try to install Windows guests.

Here's my VNC client output from booting a Gentoo install CD,
attaching VNC, and letting the guest boot into framebuffer mode.
Attachment works fine but the client crashes when the framebuffer
initializes, with "Rect too large":

[...]
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Using shared memory PutImage
Tunneling active: preferring tight encoding
Rect too large: 1024x1 at (0, 0)

...and here's the (trimmed) output from waiting until the system is
done booting before trying to attach VNC:

[...]
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Using shared memory PutImage
Tunneling active: preferring tight encoding
Zero size rect - ignoring
Zero size rect - ignoring
Zero size rect - ignoring
Rect too large: 1x0 at (3, 1024)
ShmCleanup called

Any recommendations for clients or options to try?  Does the tightvnc
client have known issues when attaching to a qemu server?