Newbie, struggling with graphics and qemu monitor

Hi List.

I'm taking my first look at KVM, using version 85, on a Gentoo system
with kernel release 2.6.29.

The gist of my problem right now is that I can't figure out how to
access the monitor, and I've tried various things with no luck so far.

My first hitch was that apparently SDL isn't working properly on my
system, because running a console with SDL enabled just prints garbage
characters to my xterm.  It seems that the mistranslation works both
ways, because in cases where I happen to know what the guest system is
displaying and can type blindly on its console, it doesn't behave the
way I expect given the input I (think I) gave it.

If I use -curses or -nographics at invocation, and if I boot my guest
image in text-only mode, I can get a good console.  But when I try to
send any of the keystrokes that the docs say should trigger the
monitor, I get unreliable results.

"Ctl-a Ctl-a" appears to pass through to the guest system, as do most
of the other "Ctl" key combos.  This is after I stopped trying to
access the console in a screen(1) session, since the two stomping on
each other's ^A sequences was just too confusing.  In some cases (I'm
not sure exactly how I get this to happen), I'm able to get a brief
usage prompt showing some of the same "Ctl-." commands I'm seeing in
the docs, but none of them appear to work.

"Ctl-Alt" anything is problematic when running an X session since it
gets intercepted by my window manager, so I switched to a virtual
console to ssh into the KVM system.  From there, "Ctl-Alt" with a "2"
or "3" doesn't produce any visible reaction at all.

Next I tried running with a VNC console.  That works, again if I boot
my guest image in text-only mode (trying to use VGA leads to VNC
client crashes with complaints about "Rect too large" and Google's not
much help), but there too, key combos don't appear to get through.
The ctl-alt issue is unavoidable here since I can't run VNC without an
X session, and the "Ctl-A" behavior is the same as I described it
above.

I realize this is all pretty vague but I'm not sure where to look for
further information, or how to debug my setup, so any clues or
signposts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
--Michael