Re: qemu-kvm broken after ./configure --disable-kvm

Jan Kiszka wrote:
2. Upstream does not, and it's unclear if it ever will (if we push
   recent headers into kvm-kmod, I think there is no urgent need
   anymore). At least for code to-be-pushed upstream, we must not
   rely in this anyway.
Yes.

Adding the headers to kvm-kmod.h is the right thing technically, but
something tells me we'll get a lot of failures by people compiling first
and installing later, rather than the sequence needed to make things
work: compile and install kvm-kmod, compile and install qemu[-kvm].  Not
all of the failures will be visible at compile time.

That could (and probably should - independent of in-tree headers) be
caught by making all KVM_CAPs mandatory, ie. check for the latest and
greatest ones during configure and drop all the #ifdefs from the code.

Not with out-of-tree headers. qemu-kvm-0.10.x ought to build against Linux 2.6.27, kvm-kmod-2.6.30, and kvm-91.

Making all KVM_CAPs mandatory only works if we carry the headers with qemu.

Whatever the strategy will be, it should be one with the clear goal to
converge over the same approach with upstream.

Definitely.  In this case I'm still not sure what we want, though.