Re: qemu-kvm broken after ./configure --disable-kvm

Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> But qemu-kvm carries linux/kvm.h, so this never happens?
>>>

>> 1. qemu-kvm does not use its own headers when you specify --disble-kvm.
>>    That's the technical reason for this bug.
>>

> Ah, okay.  This should be fixed (by including the headers) as long as we
> continue to carry kvm.h.
>
>> 2. Upstream does not, and it's unclear if it ever will (if we push
>>    recent headers into kvm-kmod, I think there is no urgent need
>>    anymore). At least for code to-be-pushed upstream, we must not
>>    rely in this anyway.
>
> Yes.
>
> Adding the headers to kvm-kmod.h is the right thing technically, but
> something tells me we'll get a lot of failures by people compiling first
> and installing later, rather than the sequence needed to make things
> work: compile and install kvm-kmod, compile and install qemu[-kvm].  Not
> all of the failures will be visible at compile time.

That could (and probably should - independent of in-tree headers) be
caught by making all KVM_CAPs mandatory, ie. check for the latest and
greatest ones during configure and drop all the #ifdefs from the code.

Whatever the strategy will be, it should be one with the clear goal to
converge over the same approach with upstream.

Jan