Re: qemu-kvm broken after ./configure --disable-kvm

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Building latest git with ./configure --disable-kvm breaks with errors in
pcspk.c
With latest git, things break much earlier in case your host does not
provide linux/kvm.h because libkvm-all.h includes it unconditionally.

But qemu-kvm carries linux/kvm.h, so this never happens?

1. qemu-kvm does not use its own headers when you specify --disble-kvm.
   That's the technical reason for this bug.

Ah, okay. This should be fixed (by including the headers) as long as we continue to carry kvm.h.

2. Upstream does not, and it's unclear if it ever will (if we push
   recent headers into kvm-kmod, I think there is no urgent need
   anymore). At least for code to-be-pushed upstream, we must not
   rely in this anyway.

Yes.

Adding the headers to kvm-kmod.h is the right thing technically, but something tells me we'll get a lot of failures by people compiling first and installing later, rather than the sequence needed to make things work: compile and install kvm-kmod, compile and install qemu[-kvm]. Not all of the failures will be visible at compile time.