RE: Network throughput limits for local VM <-> VM communication

> Subject: Re: Network throughput limits for local VM <-> VM
> communication
>
> Fischer, Anna wrote:
> > I am using two bridges, and yes, in theory, the router should be the
> only connection between the two guests. However, without VLANs, the tun
> interface will pass packets to all tap interfaces. It has to, as it
> doesn't know to which one the packet has to go to. It does not look at
> packets, it simply copies buffers from userspace to the tap interface
> in the kernel. The tap interface then eventually drops the packet, if
> the MAC address does not match its own. So packets will not actually go
> across both bridges, because the tap interface that should not receive
> the packet does drop it. However, it does receive the packet and
> processes it to some extend which causes some overhead. As I was told
> by someone at KVM/RedHat, this does not happen when using VLANs as then
> there will be a direct mapping between any tun<->tap device and so no
> packet replication across multiple tap devices.
> >

> This only happens if the receiving tap never sends out packets.  If the
> tap interface does send out packets, the bridge will associate their
> MAC
> address with that interface, and future packets will only be forwarded
> there.
>
> Is this your scenario?

Not sure I understand. As far as I can see the packets are replicated on the tun/tap interface before they actually enter the bridge. So this is not about the bridge learning MAC addresses and flooding frames to unknown destinations. So I think this is different.

Anna