Network throughput limits for local VM <-> VM communication

I am testing network throughput between two guests residing on the same physical machine. I use a bridge to pass packets between those guests and the virtio NIC model. I am wondering why the throughput only goes up to about 970Mbps. Should we not be able to achieve much higher throughput if the packets do not actually go out on the physical wire? What are the limitations for throughput performance under KVM/virtio? I can see that by default the interfaces (the tap devices) have TX queue length set to 500, and I wonder if increasing this would make any difference? Also, are there other things I would need to consider to achieve higher throughput numbers for local guest <-> guest communication? The CPU is not maxed out at all, and shows as being idle for most of the time while the throughput does not increase any more.

I run KVM under standard Fedora Core 10 with a Linux kernel 2.6.27.

Thanks,
Anna