Re: X58 Virtualization w/ Linux

On 2016/6/15 23:40, Steve Novakov wrote:
Hello Paolo, thank you for joining in,

Yeah absolutely, it freezes no matter what I do. I get all sorts of
interesting error messages during boot. Dmesg goes to like [64.4XXXX] or
higher and spits out random kernel functions, addresses, etc. then
freezes. I've tried

intel_iommu=on
intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1

all sorts of combinations. I've verified that all of the relevant
modules load (vfio* kvm kvm_intel pci_stub) through dmesg. That that
"DMAR-IR" message is suspicious though, no? That there is some setting
in the kernel that disables remapping by default for my BIOS. I've seen
posts with working vt-d even with an i7-950. I wonder if they have the
C3 stepping of the northbridge. Does that sound like it might be an issue?

I can't believe that there is not some way to make this work, as it
works flawlessly with ESXi (which sits on top of a linux kernel, though
it's vmware's proprietary fork I think). If my system boots in "Plug and
play" mode, the BIOS configuration for non critical devices shouldn't
matter, right?

It seems there are something wrong with vfio. Have you tried with legacy device pass through? It should be disabled on new distribution(like ubuntu 16.04) but RHEL6 may still support it.

Steve Novakov
B.A.Sc. Engineering Physics
PhD Student - Physics
University of Michigan