Re: X58 Virtualization w/ Linux

So I swapped over to ubuntu 16.04 server and I just saw this line in dmesg:

[0.100541] DMAR-IR: This system BIOS has enabled interrupt remapping on a chipset that contains an erratum making that feature unstable. To maintain system stability interrupt remapping is being disabled.please contact your BIOS vendor for an update.

This line was actually present while using arch as well I just never took the time to read past the first line (which just says enabled interrupt remapping). This seems to be an issue with northbridge stepping B3, and was apparently fixed in stepping C2 ( I have B3 : ( ).

I wonder if it's even possible to get this to work with my motherboard now....**though ESXi can manage just fine...**

Maybe there's some way to trick linux into just trying to do it. I mean, it seems to pass devices to pci-stub just fine.

Steve Novakov
B.A.Sc Engineering Physics
PhD Student - Physics
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor