Re: [kvm] Re: 3525MB RAM Limit

Brian, Alex,

2009/4/9 Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 10:39 -0500, Brian Jackson wrote:
>> some subjects to look for:
>> * Can't boot guest with more than 3585MB when using large pages
>> There was a patch from Marcelo that was supposed to fix it.
>> * kvm-84 and guests with more than 3536 MB Ram?
>> there were suggestions to make sure to use the correct bios and the OP stated
>> that upgrading his kernel actually fixed the problem
>>
>> I could swear there was another one, but maybe I'm thinking of the IRC
>> channel. If you are still unable to get it to work, you should reply back with
>> more info. Kernel version, KVM version, etc.
>
> It could also be related to the guest trimming away memory due to the
> way we used to report the MTRRs.  This would show up in dmesg on the
> guest.  Try the latest kvm by hand and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for the suggestions. After more research, it looks like
upgrading the software will fix the problem:

http://www.func.nl/community/knowledgebase/running-kvm-guest-35-gb-ram

We see the same BIOS message as in the above link. It seems like this
will be fixed in Fedora 11 so we'll probably wait for a month or two
and then upgrade Fedora on our host system.

Thanks again,

Dan