Re: Stable branch releases?

Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Yes, this would be IMHO the best overall solution. Can we take kvm-userspace maint/2.6.29 and call it qemu-kvm-0.9.1-1? Most users don't need newer kernel modules if they have a relatively recent distro.

There's a slight snag here. The kernel module wants bits from the userspace package (the backward compatibility kit and makefiles); the userspace package wants some kernel bits (header files).

I think we can work around it by using 'git symbolic-ref'. kvm.git would have a maint/2.6.29 branch, which would have an alias called maint/0.9.1. Similarly, kvm-userspace.git would have a branch called maint/0.9.1, with an alias called maint/2.6.29. Commits into one would automatically appear on the other.

This sound reasonable?

That's close to sounding like git-giberish to me but if you think it'll do what you want it to do then it works for me :-)

In terms of actual releases, I'd really like to see a kvm-0.10.0-0 release based on the qemu-0.10.0 release that didn't contain any kernel modules. Ideally, we would move libkvm into the qemu tree and collapse the tree too so it looked very much like qemu does today.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori