Re: Stable branch releases?

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>>
>> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Avi,
>>>
>>> Since a number of people are using the maint/2.6.29 branch, perhaps we
>>> could start doing releases from it?  For instance, a kvm-74.1, kvm-74.2,
>>> etc. set of releases.  Likewise, when we start maint/2.6.30, a new set of
>>> stable releases could follow.
>>
>> Yes, I want to do that.
>
> Ok, is there anything standing in the way of doing this?  What would prevent
> us from doing a stable release in the next few days even?  Is there anything
> we can do to help?
>
>>  One question is what to call these releases, though.
>
> I'd like to see it be named kvm-XX.y or something like that to keep a close
> association between what the base release was.  For instance, you wouldn't
> expect HPET support in kvm-74.3 but you may expect it if it were
> kvm-stable-3 or something.

As we're getting close to kvm-xxx anyway, maybe we could forget this number
scheme, and adopt something that tracks linux. This way, you know exactly what
kernel a released is based on. Something in the lines of kvm-29.1  for updates
to the .29 series, (of course _this_ scheme is bad, because it brings clashes)

--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."