Re: Stable branch releases?

Avi Kivity wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Hi Avi,

Since a number of people are using the maint/2.6.29 branch, perhaps we could start doing releases from it? For instance, a kvm-74.1, kvm-74.2, etc. set of releases. Likewise, when we start maint/2.6.30, a new set of stable releases could follow.

Yes, I want to do that.

Ok, is there anything standing in the way of doing this? What would prevent us from doing a stable release in the next few days even? Is there anything we can do to help?

  One question is what to call these releases, though.

I'd like to see it be named kvm-XX.y or something like that to keep a close association between what the base release was. For instance, you wouldn't expect HPET support in kvm-74.3 but you may expect it if it were kvm-stable-3 or something.

I'd like to keep the kernel part synced with 2.6.x.y for as long as that's maintained.

How do you deal with maint/2.6.29 right now in the kvm.git tree? Do you sync that with the 2.6.x.y releases?

Perhaps we can call these releases kvm-stable-x.y (though it would cause confusion with kvm-xx).

If you're just suggesting introducing -stable, it really doesn't matter to me. I don't think it's necessary FWIW.

So, users of kvm-stable-x.y would be running the same code as users running Linux-2.6.x.y with the bundled kvm modules.

I think the majority of utility in the release numbers are associated with the userspace bits (maybe I'm a bit bias :-)). I don't think most users care about the differences between 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 kernel bits, but the different between kvm-74 and kvm-83 is very important feature wise.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori