Re: kvm-83

Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Gioacchino Mendola
> <gioacchino.mendola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> but I have some problems,
>> since guest freezes at boot time
>> (at very early stage since it does not print any message on the attached vnc)
>> and /var/log/messages sports the following error message:
>>
>> kvm: 4982: cpu0 unhandled wrmsr: 0xc0010117 data 0
>
> We're seeing this same error in Ubuntu's kvm-83 as well,
>  * https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/325851
>
> It seems benign, on this side.  No lockups here, that I'm noticing.
>
> What does this error message mean?  Is it something that we should be
> concerned about?

After some spelunking, it turns out this MSR is defined by AMD's SVM
facility.  Here's what the manual says:

    E.4 VM_HSAVE_PA MSR (C001_0117h)

        The 64-bit read/write VM_SAVE_PA MSR holds the physical
        address of a block of memory where VMRUN saves host state,
        and from which #VMEXIT reloads host state. The VMM
        software is expected to set up this register before issuing the
        first VMRUN instruction. The host state-save area must be
        aligned at 4KB; software must not attempt to either read or
        write it.

        Writing this MSR causes a #GP if:

         *  any of the low 12 bits of the address written are nonzero, or
         *  the address written is greater than or equal to the maximum
            supported physical address for this implementation.

I've seen the message with both Linux and Windows XP guests.  Strange.

--
Paul Collins
Wellington, New Zealand

Dag vijandelijk luchtschip de huismeester is dood