Re: QEMU KVM tracing and KVM toggling

Il 13/03/2014 20:27, Michał Matoga ha scritto:

I'm working on system calls tracing using QEMU KVM.

1. Is it possible to force emulation of instructions when VM is running?
Then I might be able to enable/disable KVM acceleration whenever I want to.

2. I know I can get full trace from QEMU without KVM (log in_asm). For
example during booting kernel I collected log
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho7ykw1rc2tl4eb/qemu.log). Of course, when I
enable KVM, this method will not work. I used trace-cmd tool to collect
KVM events (https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhvtztzilvepwt0/kvm.log) but KVM
log contains only functions emulated by QEMU. Is there a possibility to
know what functions are executed natively in CPU when KVM is enabled to
get something like "full" log from QEMU without KVM?

No, neither is possible. Consider that forcing emulation while KVM is running would be hundreds of times slower than execution on the actual processor. It's simply too slow.

If you run QEMU with "-cpu host", you can use "perf" in the guest to see what's happening. Of course it will only be a statistical profile, not the full trace.

Paolo