Re: bug: arm64: 3.17 guest regression

On 10/16/2014 11:31 AM, Don Dutile wrote:
> On 10/16/2014 05:45 AM, Christoffer Dall wrote:
>> Hi Joel,

>>> That's concerning.... We could be losing interrupts for some reason.
>>>
>> I tried to reproduce this and I really cannot reproduce it.
>>
>> I talked to Don Dutile from Red Hat yesterday, and he said he had seen
>> the same behavior when configuring the NO_HZ incorrectly, something
>> about the clocksources getting confused and the system times out before
>>
>> Are you setting these options with menuconfig or manually in the .config
>> file?
>>
>> It owuld be interesting if you could do a blank defconfig and enable the
>> NO_HZ options through a menuconfig and see if you can reproduce that
>> way?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Christoffer
>>
> Here are my (working) timer config options:
> #
> # Timers subsystem
> #
> CONFIG_TICK_ONESHOT=y
> CONFIG_NO_HZ_COMMON=y
> # CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC is not set
> CONFIG_NO_HZ_IDLE=y
> # CONFIG_NO_HZ_FULL is not set
> CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
> CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
>

> If I recall correctly, having NO_HZ_FULL set to y
> is what broke my kernel with similar stack trace that Christoffer
> showed me yesterday.
>
> hope that helps.

Started taking a look at 3.18-rc2.  It seems that this problem is worse
now.  In the previous version I was able to make the problem go away in
the guest by disabling NO_HZ_FULL.  Now no combination of build options
will boot the guest, it always dies in init.  I also cannot boot the
host anymore, the host also dies in init with the same problem (either
too short shared library file or trying to access 0).