Re: [RFC] What are our plans for host != guest scenarios ?

On 2 May 2013 11:30, Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/05/13 11:02, Anup Patel wrote:
>> We would like to know KVM ARM/ARM64 plans for handling host implementation
>> specific registers when underlying host cpu is different from guest cpu.
>
> So far, we don't do that. The only case where that could actually be
> useful is a big.LITTLE-type system.

That's not the only situation where you need it. Consider the case
where you have a pile of guest VMs on a rack full of A15s. Now
you'd like to migrate them all over to your new rack full of shiny
AWhatevers. Unless you can run A15 guests on AWhatever hosts then
you've just forced all your customers to reboot, maybe reconfigure
and worst case reinstall their guest VMs.

We haven't implemented it yet, but we absolutely ought to
at some point. big.LITTLE host support would then build on
top of that.

-- PMM