[RFC] What are our plans for host != guest scenarios ?

Hi All,

We would like to know KVM ARM/ARM64 plans for handling host implementation
specific registers when underlying host cpu is different from guest cpu.

These host implementation specific registers can be of two types:
1. Trappable
2. Non-trappable

Trappable host implementation specific registers can be easily handled by simply
not allowing guest to access them.

Non-trappable host implementation specific register are tricky to
handle since, we
cannot trap guest access to these registers.

One potential solution for this would be to save/restore them in the low-level
context switching routines and KVM VCPU context can have some scratch space
to save/restore host implementation specific registers.

The reason for bringing up this issue is that we have few
implementation specific
registers in APM ARMv8 CPU which cannot be trapped upon guest access.

Regards,
Anup