Re: [RFC] What are our plans for host != guest scenarios ?

On 02/05/13 11:02, Anup Patel wrote:

Hi Anup,

> We would like to know KVM ARM/ARM64 plans for handling host implementation
> specific registers when underlying host cpu is different from guest cpu.

So far, we don't do that. The only case where that could actually be
useful is a big.LITTLE-type system.

> These host implementation specific registers can be of two types:
> 1. Trappable
> 2. Non-trappable
>
> Trappable host implementation specific registers can be easily handled by simply
> not allowing guest to access them.
>
> Non-trappable host implementation specific register are tricky to
> handle since, we
> cannot trap guest access to these registers.
>
> One potential solution for this would be to save/restore them in the low-level
> context switching routines and KVM VCPU context can have some scratch space
> to save/restore host implementation specific registers.

You also need to take care of userspace access to these registers (think
live migration).

> The reason for bringing up this issue is that we have few
> implementation specific
> registers in APM ARMv8 CPU which cannot be trapped upon guest access.

I don't get what this has to do with supporting a guest that is
different from your host. You just have an extra set of registers that
need to be context-switched in HYP, irrelevant of what the guest thinks
it is running on.

Am I missing something obvious?

	M.