Re: Prempt Rt-Patch for KVM ARM

> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Alexander Spyridakis
> <a.spyridakis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 9 February 2013 10:04, sanju james <sanjukuttu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Can somebody suggest me an idea how to patch this with real prempt patch
>>> (can i use latest patch available that is 3.6) and move forward ? Hope
>>> someone will reply with proper
>>

>> As already pointed out this is way of topic, so please try to refrain from
>> posting unrelated material here.

https://www.osadl.org/?id=1507

"Challenges in Virtualizing Real-Time Systems Using KVM/QEMU Solution

Manikandan Ramachandran, Infosys Technologies Limited

Real-time systems used in media space have to be highly reliable.
Historically, product manufacturers provide high reliability solution
by providing backup device that covers a primary device. The issue
with this solution is that the end customers are forced to invest
heavily on both installation and maintenance of backup devices that
essentially doesn’t provide quantifiable value to their service. With
the advent of hardware-assisted virtualization, and proprietary and
open source hypervisor solution, many embedded communication devices
started providing high availability solution on a single physical
device. This concept saved precious resource for the end customers.
KVM/QEMU is one such para-virtualization solution that exploits
hardware virtualization feature.

Over past few years KVM/QEMU Virtualization solution is growing at a
fast rate in enterprise server industry; however, on embedded space
the penetration is low. This paper looks at various challenges an
embedded architect would face in adapting KVM/QEMU solution.

The paper starts by providing various reasons for embedded system
architects to look for virtualization solution. Then it lists how
KVM/QEMU solution can address architects’ requirement. Further the
paper provides a detailed description about various modules that are
involved in KVM/QEMU virtualization solution and gives a brief
overview about the interaction among these modules. The paper
concludes by providing various efforts that were made to implement a
high availability concept using KVM/QEMU virtualization solution."

https://www.osadl.org/QA-Farm-Realtime.qa-farm-about.0.html#c4712

"Real-time host and kvm virtualization

Rationale

There are a number of scenarios where is it highly desirable to run a
virtualized guest system in a real-time compliant host computer. One
scenario is the combination of an industrial control system with an
integrated graphical user interface. In such situations, the host and
the guest system have very different requirements with respect to
real-time, safety and security. In addition, they often require
different operating systems, since the graphical user interface is
usually written for a proprietary tool chain which makes it impossible
to port it to another environment - at least not in the short run. On
the other hand, using a single combined computer system instead of two
separate computers has a lot of advantages - less prone to hardware
failures, easier system management, reduced purchase and service costs
to just name a few."