HYP mode required on boot?

Hi there, I am developing a boot loader for Linux KVM on ARM. Can you just confirm to me that for KVM to work it is required that the kernel is booted in HYP mode? Is there no way for KVM to later switch to HYP mode when the kernel is booted in non-secure SVC mode? Ideally, shouldn't the kernel be booted in SVC mode and then only when KVM is loaded, a HYP mode transition occurs? The way I understand the current kernel code is that KVM expects that the boot loader has already set the CPU in HYP mode and it won't start if it hasn't. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

Jess