Re: HYP mode required on boot?

On 08/11/12 14:29, Jessica Allison wrote:

> Hi there, I am developing a boot loader for Linux KVM on ARM.
> Can you just confirm to me that for KVM to work it is required that the kernel is booted in HYP mode?

Yes. And that is to be done for all CPUs.

> Is there no way for KVM to later switch to HYP mode when the kernel is booted in non-secure SVC mode?

No. This is the wrong way of doing things. All SoCs have their own way
to reach HYP mode, depending on the firmware they run. We want to keep
this crap out of the kernel code, and the bootloader is the right
location for it.

> Ideally, shouldn't the kernel be booted in SVC mode and then only when KVM is loaded, a HYP mode transition occurs?

Define HYP transition. With what ABI?

> The way I understand the current kernel code is that KVM expects that the boot loader has already set the CPU in HYP mode and it won't start if it hasn't. Is this correct?

The kernel expects to be entered in HYP mode for HYP mode to be
available for KVM. Otherwise, HYP is declared off-limit.

Please have a look at Documentation/arm/Booting for details on what
should be done for a compliant bootloader.

	M.