NASA's SORCE SATELLITE SOARS INTO SPACE TO CATCH SOME RAYS

NASA News
National Aeronautics and
Space Administration

John F. Kennedy Space Center
Kennedy Space Center, Florida 32899
AC 321-867-2468
_______________________________
For Release: Jan. 25, 2003

David E. Steitz
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1730)

Lynn Chandler
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
(Phone:  301/286-2806)

Bruce Buckingham
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
(321) 867-2468

KSC RELEASE: 12 - 03

NASA'S  SORCE SATELLITE SOARS INTO SPACE TO CATCH SOME RAYS

NASA's Solar Radiation and Climate Experiment (SORCE) successfully launched
today aboard a Pegasus XL rocket over the Atlantic Ocean. Dropped from the
wing of a L-1011 carrier aircraft at 3:14 p.m. EST, separation of the
spacecraft from the rocket occurred 10 minutes and 46 seconds after launch
at about 3:24 p.m.  Initial contact with the satellite was made seven
seconds after separation via a NASA communications satellite network.

"Today's successful launch adds to our constellation of Earth-viewing
satellites that help us to understand and protect our home planet," said Dr.
Ghassem Asrar, NASA's Associate Administrator for Earth Sciences,
Washington.

"We are all tremendously excited by what we will learn about the solar
climate connection from SORCE," said Bill Ochs, SORCE Project Manager at
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.  "We're very proud of
the mission team led by the University of Colorado and supported by Orbital
Sciences Corporation. This mission is a great example of how NASA,
universities, and industry can partner together to create successful science
missions."

Over the next few days, the mission team will insure that the spacecraft is
functioning properly. The SORCE science instruments will then be turned on
and their health verified.  Approximately 21 days after launch, if all is
going well, the instruments will start initial science data collection and
calibration will begin. The spacecraft will study the Sun's influence on our
Earth and will measure from space how the Sun affects the Earth's ozone
layer, atmospheric circulation, clouds, and oceans.

This mission is a joint partnership between NASA and the University of
Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics in Boulder,
Colorado. The mission is a principal investigator led mission with NASA
providing management and scientific oversight and engineering support.

Scientists and engineers at the University of Colorado designed, built,
calibrated, and tested the four science instruments on the spacecraft. The
University subcontracted with Orbital Sciences Corporation for the
spacecraft and observatory integration and testing.  The Mission Operations
Center and the Science Operations Center are both operated at the
University. The University will operate the spacecraft over its five-year
mission life and is responsible for the acquisition, management, processing,
and distribution of the science data.

For more information about the this mission to explore Earth's climate
please see

http://lasp.colorado.edu/sorce

For more information about NASA's Earth Science Enterprise and it's role in
climate change research please see:

http://www.earth.nasa.gov

-end-