Re: References to editing HTML files with Kate

Richard Owlett posted on Wed, 10 Jul 2024 09:25:40 -0500 as excerpted:

> I am new to Kate, though I've been exposed to a wide variety of editors
> since the 60's.
>
> As a personal project I wish to reformat a number similarly structured
> files for a different audience. These are chapters of the KJV Bible
> originally created as a study tool. I wish to create a pleasant reading
> experience for some visually impaired seniors.

So this is related to your question but somewhat orthogonal to it.  Still,
you may find it of interest.

There's a qt-based app called bibletime you may wish to look at.  It uses
the rather large sword bible-resource libraries from crosswire.org which
include over 200 Bible translations, commentaries, concordances,
dictionaries as sword modules... some of which are free as in code and/or
free as in no-cost, while others are not so freely licensed and may
require an unlock key from their publisher. The gtk-based alternative if
you'd prefer that is called xiphos and there's similar software for other
platforms.

Being of an age where I used to carry around a briefcase full of paper
books I remember finding it rather gratifying to have all that and more on
one of early generation 1.5 netbooks (when they'd graduated to having 100+
GB 2.5-inch standard drives available and a bit more memory than the
originals but were still on the first generation 32-bit-only Intel Atom
CPUS).  Of course these days the smartphone alternatives, both local and
internet-based, will be the more popular, but some of us still prefer a
not quite so cramped screen and real keyboard while still being quite
portable.

I believe the sword modules are XML based tho I've never investigated.  In
any case, both bibletime and xiphos depend on their respective toolkit
webengines (qtwebengine for bibletime, webkit-gtk for xiphos) for parsing
and display so it's a reasonable assumption that the sword modules are
/some/ sort of html/xml/similar based.