Audio issue - was Re: Starting Wayland-KDE on FC39

Hi Dave, René, Duncan, et al,

Thank you for your posts as your discussion from just before Thanksgiving (in the USA) seems VERY pertinent regarding a problem I'm experiencing.

Just catching up from Thanksgiving and follow-on travels (travails!), and this thread that Dave kicked off, has me thinking that perhaps a solution for what I've got happening might not be far off, but I can use a little more assistance, if anyone has a clue.

Firstly, I find what Dave's initial email describes is VERY close to my experience, and secondly, I think the video-card likely had or has something to do with it, though it's working fine now. ...I think Duncan's permissions dialogue is most exciting if only I knew what to do there about his suggestions!

Note that I wrote this reply BEFORE seeing some of the later additions to this thread: I don't think my problem can benefit from the later dialogue, BUT it MIGHT be that my experience can help Dave - I'll call that out at the specific spot below. To wit:

Regarding my problem: I think a permissions issue is surely the cause because "everything works" in KDE EXCEPT the sound, and some weird aspects of USB (for example, mouse / kbd are fine, but a phone can only be accessed via root), (oh, and the screen saver transitions from working to not working at weird times and I have no idea why - but then, I don't care about that, either).

The big deal is that KDE thinks there's no sound card, yet I discovered quite by accident that when I open one of the "console windows" (via ctl-alt-f3, for example) and log in, ANY and ALL audio I was trying to play in KDE is suddenly heard on the speakers, as if it was playing all along! I think this is a seriously good clue, and to my mind the issue is how I'm starting X / KDE. Unfortunately, though I've used X-11 for around 35 years or so, I'm far from an expert as up until now "it just works."

How I got here? I'm not sure it's worthy of a lot of time, but one detail might help Dave. So ... I run a mostly Fedora shop (for historical reasons) and recently (mid September, I think) I replaced my venerable desktop box (not Fedora) with a fresh installation of Fedora Server 38 with KDE added. I had a LOT of work to do to get it configured for my use-case. At first audio under Wayland worked. But when I did an update (NOT AN UPGRADE - I kept it at 38), I strongly suspect some video driver got replaced (I have an unusual 6-head Radeon, single-card video) because afterward not only did audio not work but I then entered The Twilight-Zone that Dave describes (pertinent excerpts left below for reference) with booting issues and Wayland not starting, DM behaviors and so forth. It wasn't the same experience Dave reports but was an eerily close parallel.

I struggled mightily to get KDE up again at all. And once I did, the audio and weird USB problem showed up.

I never got Wayland working at all since then, or any graphical login (not that I'm a fan of that either, like Dave) and I don't care to solve it unless it helps solve the audio issue. ...Instead I get x-11 up by logging in via the "console" as a non-root user and then running a script similar to what Dave does.

Where Dave runs:

/usr/bin/dbus-run-session /usr/bin/startplasma-wayland

I run:

xinit /etc/X11/startplasma-x11

If I try the X11 version of the startplasma script Dave uses, it complains about DISPLAY and not being able to connect to the server, likely because the server's not up yet! I haven't tried all permutations yet, however.

...I think Duncan's on to something when he talks about users belonging in certain groups to solve this sort of thing. Any suggestions for WHAT groups I try adding the my user to? (Excerpt of Duncan's pertinent bits below, too).

Any and all suggestions welcome. Not having sound is a really serious issue and I've spent a LOT of time on this already... I guess I just don't have the systems-internals knowledge I need.

Thanks
Richard