Starting Wayland-KDE on FC39

Until FC39, I had only run Wayland on one of my machines, not even
trying to bring it up on the others. Since I intensely dislike the
graphic login, I found a way to start it from a virtual terminal like
I normally start X11. Instead of "startx", I have a short script I call
"startw" that contains only the single line, "/usr/bin/dbus-run-session
/usr/bin/startplasma-wayland". This worked on FC38 and still works on
some other of my machines with FC39.

Now on the same machine with FC39 (upgraded with system-upgrade) this
no longer works. Instead, it produces 248 lines of output and then
terminates. Reviewing those lines, it appears that it is complaining
about, 'failed to open drm device at "/dev/dri/card0"' and 'No suitable
DRM devices have been found'. I'm not sure what device that refers
to but there seems to be some indication that it is my display. The
display certainly works fine for the virtual terminal I use to run
this script, and it also works fine for X11 if I run "startx".

Ok, so as a fallback I tried a graphic login. This reaches a completely
blank screen and goes no further. The machine is up as I can reach it
with SSH but the display is useless. It responds to Ctrl-Alt-Delete
but nothing else. I can't get it to switch to a different desktop. I
noticed that SDDM defaults to Wayland so I changed "sddm.conf" to
include "DisplayServer=x11". The allowed the graphic login to reach
a login page but nothing I entered there was accepted even when I
switched to specify starting an X11 session instead of Wayland.

It seems to me that this is unlikely to be a KDE problem, especially
since KDE starts great under X11. I'm just hoping someone will be
able to help me understand why this is failing. There are some online
references to a problem with the /dev/dri/card0 device but they are
ancient and don't seem relevant.

This machine is intended to run an application that only works on
Wayland (Waydroid) so at this point I'm stimied. Any suggestions
would be very helpful.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Irvine CA      "Some subjects are so serious
dave@xxxxxxxxxxx, +1 714 434 7359    that one can only joke about them."