Re: Starting Wayland-KDE on FC39

On Tuesday November 21 2023 19:32:19 Dave Close wrote:
>Radeon graphics while this one uses an Intel 82Q35 (i915 firmware). So
>it certainly looks as though the i915 firmware is the problem. I'll be
>watching for updates.

Now that you're back up and running you can check if FC38 adds any i915 parameters either to the kernel command line or when the module is loaded (if built as a module). And research if there are any known regressions from the kernel used in FC38 and the one in FC39.

I don't know how this works under Fedora but with DebUntu you'd have the possibility to remove the kernel package from the update list so that it won't get replaced during a system update/upgrade. That alone would give you an opportunity to see if you're indeed dealing with an i915 driver issue, but there are of course other methods. Like installing the kernel (version) used in FC39 under FC38 and see if that reintroduces your issue. (Assuming Fedora don't apply patches to the i915 code you could get a generic compatible kernel build of the same version.)

R.