Re: kate: set buffer read-only

On 5/9/21 11:05 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
On Sunday May 09 2021 00:53:35 hw wrote:

I can start kate and it will load a file, automatically restoring the
session.  I can set the buffer of the file to read-only and quit kate.
Next time I start kate, it loads the same file but the buffer is
writable again.  Hence the session is not restored.

Kate is an editor. It wouldn't make sense for it to remember the read-only setting, IMHO.

Why not? Are we not supposed to use it as an editor, like for editing notes?

And session restore probably isn't intended to restore the exact state the session was in (e.g. that weird state you somehow got it in by trying things out and then having to quit). Rather, it allows you to restart the editor and find it in a "fresh clean slate" state with the documents open that you were working on and ready (did I say what Kate is?) to receive edits.

Is kate as buggy as kmail? Emacs handles this and a lot more things just fine without getting into weird states.

But you can always file a bug report/feature request if you feel Kate should also be able to act like a pager app that supports the occasional edit. Or maybe you can write a plugin that makes it behave that way.

No, my account with the KDE bug tracker was deleted, and not by me. And it's not like any of the bugs I reported before that were fixed. I don't know how to write plugins for kate.

I don't know what you mean by 'pager app'. I need a decent editor, like emacs. Kate isn't even able to indent source code and you have to do the indenting yourself. How far backwards is that? Now it turns out it can't even be used for simple things like keeping notes because it can't even remember the states of its buffers from session to session.

Maybe kate isn't an editor but software in a weird state it somehow got into and we are not supposed to use it for anything ;)