Re: kate: set buffer read-only

On Sunday May 09 2021 00:53:35 hw wrote:

>I can start kate and it will load a file, automatically restoring the
>session.  I can set the buffer of the file to read-only and quit kate.
>Next time I start kate, it loads the same file but the buffer is
>writable again.  Hence the session is not restored.

Kate is an editor. It wouldn't make sense for it to remember the read-only setting, IMHO. And session restore probably isn't intended to restore the exact state the session was in (e.g. that weird state you somehow got it in by trying things out and then having to quit). Rather, it allows you to restart the editor and find it in a "fresh clean slate" state with the documents open that you were working on and ready (did I say what Kate is?) to receive edits.
But you can always file a bug report/feature request if you feel Kate should also be able to act like a pager app that supports the occasional edit. Or maybe you can write a plugin that makes it behave that way.