Re: kate: set buffer read-only

On 5/9/21 10:58 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
On Sunday May 09 2021 00:10:38 hw wrote:

Can that be deactivated per buffer?  Not that I would want to do that;
autosaving is a good feature, and I don't see how turning it off could
be useful for protecting buffer contents from being accidentially altered:

Simple, really: if you always save *yourself* to commit any conscious changes you made, you can reload the document from disc if you have doubts about any unsaved changes.

That's what I'm doing. Since I'm not a computer, I sometimes forget to save something. Protecting some buffers by setting them read-only is extremely helpful. What do I have a computer for? :)

Autosave means to save a copy of a file, not overwriting the file that has been modified and not saved. Does kate overwrite files when autosaving them?

Autosave is a global setting, not per-document ... and why would it be anything other? Than again I never understood why people would use emacs instead of vi O:-)

Maybe someone doesn't want to autosave all files. That can be particularly useful when editing remote files and for editing files in directories the user doesn't have permission to write new files to.

So why should autosave be a global setting?  That won't make sense.

I tried vi, too. The approach of not editing a file but instead typing commands all the time to painstakingly altering it character by character doesn't agree with me. That way, vi is totally getting in the way of editing files. If that approach is for you, I guess I can understand how someone would use vi instead of emacs.

Vi is like carving stone tablets while emacs is like a colour laser printer which even automatically refills its toner when you enable the mode. That's how people use emacs. I'm not sure what people using vi are doing ;)

And kate? Kate feels more like an empty parking garage with dim illumination, some waterfalls somewhere and very white walls nobody wants to enter.

(The duration of emacs sessions is usually the
same as the uptime of the machine, and that can be more than a year.)

Sounds like you're trying to make Kate behave like emacs, and that you'd be better off using emacs in a terminal emulator.

No, I was trying kate again because emacs doesn't work in plasma-wayland sessions. Kate doesn't need to work like emacs, it only needs to let me do things emacs lets me do.

That's probably going to be faster too, and way less RAM hungry in case you're keeping the editor open for more than a year.

My impression is that not running in a terminal is faster, and in a terminal, not all key combinations work. All machines I would be running emacs on have sufficent RAM, and what do I have RAM for when I don't use it.

Or use a pager like `less` that has a shortcut to open the document in an editor if you want to make a change.

It's easier to just switch to another buffer in emacs than to switch to a terminal to run less on.

You did select the "Mouse Precedence" type of "Focus follows Mouse" in KWin's settings, right? There are 2 stricter levels but if those aren't enough to make KWin handle focus as you wish, there are plenty of other WMs out there (I find xfwm4 a good one that doesn't get in my way).

Yes, and focus stealing prevention higher than medium is too high in that it disables the focus on things it shouldn't be disabled on, like the search bar in the applications menu of the panel.

That is not the problem, though. It's a bug in kwin which makes it so that when you move the mouse pointer from one window to another --- like an emacs frame or a konsole window --- the window you moved the pointer to doesn't get the focus. You can move the pointer back and forth and the window you want focused may eventually get it. Until then, the focus goes somewhere else, and you usually don't know where it went.

Fvwm doesn't have this bug.

Now imagine that on your screen, there is a gap between two konsole windows which are on top with an emacs frame below. You move the pointer from one konsole window to the other and kwin sometimes makes it so that the emacs frame gets the focus. Since you don't realise, you start typing in the konsole window and nothing happens and you move the mouse to get that window focused and eventually can type in the konsole window.

Especially when the gap between the two windows is very small, you never realised that you typed into an emacs buffer (or somewhere else) --- and only some time later, when you happen to save some buffers or when exiting emacs after editing files, you need to figure out if you did want to save the file you accidentially edited.

That is prone to errors and annoying, and setting buffers to read-only prevents problems like that. Even if kwin wasn't buggy, it's always possible to accidently hit a key you didn't want to and to type somewhere you didn't want to. Just set some buffers to read-only, and the problem doesn't exist anymore.

I don't know how I could switch the window manager in kde. And which one would I use? That would have to be one that works with wayland --- and if it wasn't for that, I'd use fvwm and no kde. Kde only slows the computer down. Wayland still isn't usable, but in Fedora 34 it finally works with NVIDIA drivers --- it wouldn't even start before --- and over time it'll replace X11 ...

Gnome would be an alternative, but it is so dumbed down and so unconfigurable that it is totally useless. Unfortunately, that is intentional, so that is unlikely to ever change. I keep wondering why people would put up with it.

What else works with wayland?